Summertime offers up bountiful entertainment in and around Chicago so we have put together THE LIST of events, many at low or no cost, to explore. Whether you make a date for Movies in the Park or discover all that the new Chicago Riverwalk has to offer, the City of Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events has a range of music, art and market fare for everyone.
One of the most anticipated theatrical events of the summer is the return of the critically-acclaimed Lookingglass production of Moby Dick which will run from June 7 to September 3rd. Ragtime swings in at Griffin Theatre this weekend and Native Gardens at Victory Gardens. We join the Goodman in wishing Stacey Keach a speedy recovery and return to Pamplona this weekend. The Goodman is also offering Objects in the Mirror (extended to June 3rd) and Ah Wilderness is on deck. Don’t miss Parade now playing at Writers Theater and Chicago at Drury Lane through June 18th.
Our Conversations FTA podcast this week includes singer Joan Curto whose new cabaret show Happy Talk debuts at Davenport’s June 9th through 11th. We are also featuring a conversation with Paul Becker of Carl Becker and Son on the making of violins and cellos. There’s live music at Winter’s Jazz Club with Elaine Dame, Andy's Jazz Club with Typhanie Monique and Jeannie Tanner, and Once Upon a Time will be a great night out in Skokie!
Monday Night Live at Petterino’s will celebrate their 10th anniversary in September! This week, the cast of the Skokie Theatre production of Spelling Bee will be performing. It is always a great night with Denise McGowan Tracy and Beckie Menzie. Special menu. Reduced valet parking. No cover. Check it out!
UPCOMING FREE SUMMER EVENTS AND FESTIVALS
- City of Chicago - Movies in the Park start June 2nd
- Maifest –June 1–4
- Chicago Gospel Music Festival – June 2–3
- Do Division –June 2-4
- Rush Hour Concerts’ Summer Concert Series – Classical music at St. James Cathedral in River North every Tuesday evening after work debuts with the Kontras Quartet June 6th
- Millennium Park Summer Workouts – Free morning Workouts Tuesdays and Thursdays June 6 – August 31
- Old Town School of Folk Music’s Soundtrack of the City – Citywide concert series starts with Blues in Bronzeville June 8th
- Ribfest Chicago – June 9 – 11
- Green Music Fest – June 10 – 11
- Millennium Park Summer Music Series - Start June 12th
- Millennium Park Summer Film Series - Start June 13th
- Chicago Loop Alliance –ACTIVATE series transforms iconic Loop alleys into urban celebrations June 15th
- Alphawood Gallery - Then They Came for Me: Incarceration of Japanese Americans during WWII and the Demise of Civil Liberties opens June 29th
- Taste of Chicago - July 5-9
- Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks – Romeo & Juliet from July 26–August 27
- Navy Pier Fireworks – Wednesdays and Saturdays through Labor Day
- Full list of Chicago Summer Festivals visit Choose Chicago
- Cavalia Odysseo - Through June 3rd
- Chicago Dramatists - Johnny 10 Beers' Daughter - Talkback w/Ed Tracy - June 11th
- Drury Lane - Chicago through June 18th
- Writers Theatre - Parade through July 2nd
- Griffin Theatre - Ragtime at the Den Theater through July 16th
- Timeline Theatre - Paradise Blue through July 23rd
- Winter’s Jazz Club – Half off link for live music concert tickets for the summer
- Goodman Theatre - Objects in the Mirror extended through June 3rd
- Greenhouse Theater Center - Strangest Things! The Musical extended through July 8th
- Elaine Dame at Winter's Jazz Club - TONIGHT June 1st
- SWAY Chicago at the Drake Hotel - June 2nd
- Skokie Theatre - Once Upon A Time – Judy Rossignuolo-Rice and Bernard Rice June 3rd
- Skokie Theatre - Blacklisted - June 4th
- Monday Night Live – Featuring Skokie Theatre’s Spelling Bee Cast June 5th
- Museum of Contemporary Art - Takashi Murakami: The Octopus Eats Its Own Leg June 6th
- Lookingglass Theatre – Moby Dick June 7th
- Victory Gardens Theater - Native Gardens June 9th
- Reggie’s – Jeannie Tanner featured in the Chicago Women in Blues Festival June 9th
- Davenport's Piano Bar - Joan Curto 'Happy Talk' June 9-11 - Listen to our conversation with Joan HERE
- Typhanie Monique at Andy's Jazz Club - June 13th
- Skokie Theatre – The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee June 23rd
- Grippo Stage Company - The God of Isaac by James Sherman at the Piven Theatre July 8th. Listen to our conversation with James Sherman HERE
Skokie Theatre - Tony Awards Night Gala Benefit
Sunday, June 11 6:30 p.m.
Honoring Barbara LaSpesa – 2017 Community Service Award
This year's annual benefit for Skokie Theatricals will be held on Sunday evening, June 11 to coincide with the Tony Awards. Watch the awards along with red carpet photos, champagne and hors d'oeuvre, raffles, silent auctions, and special live entertainment. $75
OUR 2017 SUMMER SUBSCRIPTION CAMPAIGN IS UNDERWAY!
Each month, from TODAY through September 1, 2017, we will award a $25 American Express Gift Card to one lucky subscriber. The rules are simple and you only have to enter once! CLICK HERE for your chance to win!