It is a BIG week coming up in and around Chicago for festivals, garden walks, movies and Shakespeare in the Park and some high-flying excitement – namely, Cirque Du Soliel’s Luzia opening July 21st at the United Center. Taste of River North, the Chicago Craft Beer Festival, artfest Michigan Avenue and the Sheffield Music Festival and Garden Walk top the list of street fare.
On the boards, Northwestern University’s Wirtz Center presents David Catlin’s new project A Midsummer Night’s Daydream. This will be your last chance to see Griffin Theatre’s Ragtime at Den Theatre, Paradise Blue at Timeline and Ah, Wilderness! at Goodman. (Our Conversation with Randall Newsome was the top downloaded podcast for the month, btw). The weather temporarily dampened the run of Bridges of Madison County at Marriott last week, but things are back on track now. Don’t miss John Reeger and Paula Scrofano-Reeger in The Gin Game at Drury Lane. Swim with the fishes and see the whales at Lookingglass Theatre’s Moby Dick.
Our FTA Conversation this week is all about social media with Jocelyn Delk Adams and Kit Graham, who joined us on June 22, 2016 at Skokie Theatre. Jocelyn recently presented a TEDx Talk and there’s plenty of keen insight from both of these new age entrepreneurs about growing audiences, food and travel.
- Northwestern University's Wirtz Center for the Performing Arts - A Midsummer Night's Daydream opens July 21st
- Cirque Du Soleil - Luzia at the United Center July 21st through September 3rd
- Griffin Theatre - Ragtime at the Den Theatre through July 22nd
- Timeline Theatre - Paradise Blue through July 23rd
- Goodman Theatre - Ah, Wilderness! through July 23rd La Havana Madrid Through August 20th
- Marriott Theatre - The Bridges of Madison County through August 13th
- Drury Lane - The Gin Game through August 13th
- Grippo Stage Company - The God of Isaac by James Sherman at the Piven Theatre through August 27th
- Lookingglass Theatre – Moby Dick through September 3rd
- American Blues Theater - Beauty's Daughter through August 5th
- Royal George Theatre - Spamilton through forever
- Rush Hour Concerts Summer Series at St. James Cathedral every Tuesday through August
- Music, movies, dance at Millennium Park
- Monday Night Live at Petterino's with Denise McGowan Tracy & Beckie Menzie Guest Co-Hosts: Judy Rice (7/24) Scott Gryder (7/31)
- Angela Ingersoll Cabaret - Philbin Studio Theatre at Notre Dame July 24th
- Rose Colella Trio - Winter's Jazz Club July 25th
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater - Shakespeare in the Parks July 26th - August 27th
- Ignition Festival of New Plays at Victory Gardens Theater - August 4th
- Jeannie Tanner's Words & Music at Andy's Jazz Club - August 11th & 12th
- Theater Wit- Bonnie and Clyde August 27th
- Victory Gardens Theater - Fun Home September 19th