Want to add to your summer theater experience? It's all theatre all the time this week and there is a lot to choose from all over Chicago beginning with Parade at Writers Theatre in Glencoe and Ragtime, the Griffin Theatre production now playing at Den Theatre's Heath Mainstage. Opening this week: the Chicago premiere of Native Gardens at Victory Gardens Theater and Moby Dick returns to the Lookingglass.
We’ve taken a close look at these and three other recent shows that all have raised our awareness and understanding of the issues of race, bias and social injustice. Read this week's commentary: Does Life Imitate Art?
Our FTA Conversation this week is from the national launch of John Zukowsky’s book Building Chicago, recorded live at the Chicago History Museum last fall. Joining the fascinating program which discussed influential Chicago architects and their legacy are Lee Bey and Rolf Achilles.
On Sunday June 11th, join us for Johnny 10 Beers' Daughter at Chicago Dramatists and our talkback that follows.
Much more to see and do all around town. Enjoy!
- Lookingglass Theatre – Moby Dick though September 3rd
- Chicago Dramatists - Johnny 10 Beers' Daughter - Talkback w/Ed Tracy - June 11th
- Court Theatre - Harvey through June 11th
- Northlight Theatre– Relativity through June 18th
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater - Shakespeare in Love through June 18th
- Drury Lane - Chicago through June 18th
- Theater Wit - Bright Half Life through July 1st
- Writers Theatre - Parade through July 2nd
- Greenhouse Theater Center - Strangest Things! The Musical extended through July 8th
- Griffin Theatre - Ragtime at the Den Theater through July 16th
- Timeline Theatre - Paradise Blue through July 23rd
- Monday Night Live at Petterino's
- Victory Gardens Theater - Native Gardens June 9th
- Chicago Blues Fest - June 9 -11
- Chicago Tribune Printers Row Lit Fest - June 10-11
- Skokie Theatre – The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee June 23rd
- Johnny Mercer Foundation Songwriters Project - June 24th
- Grippo Stage Company - The God of Isaac by James Sherman at the Piven Theatre July 8th. Listen to our conversation with James Sherman HERE
- Cirque du Soleil - United Center July 21st
- Theater Wit- Bonnie and Clyde August 27th
Skokie Theatre - Tony Awards Night Gala Benefit
Sunday, June 11 6:30 p.m.
Honoring Barbara LaSpesa – 2017 Community Service Award
This year's annual benefit for Skokie Theatricals will be held on Sunday evening, June 11 to coincide with the Tony Awards. Watch the awards along with red carpet photos, champagne and hors d'oeuvre, raffles, silent auctions, and special live entertainment. $75
Next week we will announce our FIRST WINNER in the Summer Subscription Contest and it could be you! CLICK HERE for your chance to win up to FOUR $25 AMEX Gift Cards from now through September 1, 2017. The rules are simple and you only have to enter once!
But don't delay ... all entries must be submitted by FRIDAY.